Customer focus and operational efficiency have always been an integral part of Sons Bakery’s business mandate. Facing new customer demands and ever cognizant of overhead costs, the Brampton, Ontario bakery was
looking to launch a formal sustainability program that ensured economic, environmental and social sustainability
considerations became standard practice across the company’s activities.
Sons Bakery happily signed on to be one of the four companies participating in an exciting pilot project: giving Provision Coalition’s Online Sustainability Management System a “real world” test at their manufacturing facilities. Provision’s Online Sustainability Portal offers leading edge, web-based sustainability benchmarking tools and resources such as self-assessments, key performance indicator (KPI) dashboard and extensive consultant/vendor and funding databases – all designed to help food and beverage manufacturers assess, monitor and improve their sustainability performance.
NSF-GFTC, a global leader in food safety, training, quality and technical solutions, provided facilitation and coaching throughout the pilot process. www.gftc.ca
A fresh business vision and mission with goals that encompass the organization’s commitment to sustainability and align with customer expectations.
- Resource savings of 12% in electricity over a two year period; 6% in natural gas; and 4% in water consumption.
- Annual cost savings of $45,000 which is being used to help fund further energy and water conservation activities.
- Zero waste-to-landfill status achieved through a comprehensive solid waste segregation and landfill diversion program and sending all remaining landfill waste for energy generation.
- Proud recipient of McDonalds 2014 Sustainability Award.
- Improved resource efficiency and the establishment of The Sons Bakery Corporate and Operation Energy Reduction Initiative Program (COERIP).
“We were very excited to begin the process. Sons Bakery was committed to developing an effective and comprehensive sustainability program. The pilot allowed us to do just that, by establishing the necessary processes, measuring our success, and sharing our journey with others who are ready to make the change.” Rick Bossy, Managing Director, Sons Bakery